04 December 2007

Finally

So, finals are the worst idea, ever. They do not prove the mastery of a subject, but rather the ability to cram selected knowledge into short term memory for an exam, and then forgetting it. How American. How stupid. Those are unrelated comments, if you associate them then that's your prerogative and has nothing to do with me and my writing.

The four A's that I was sure of having are looking increasingly unlikely. I have a definite A in Art. (It's art... come on. Not that I am underestimating the difficulty of art, just of art history. Me = photographic memory. cha ching.) I might feel more confident concerning Russian if 80% of my grade wasn't from the final (which is tomorrow at 10 AM). I would also feel better if I'd actually met the professor who was administering the final, who is a guest professor from Emory. It didn't help that they changed the day of the final from the 7th to the 5th either. I thought that I was finished with my Economics 2100 class, (that I was exempt from the final) but I have 269 points, and I need 270 for an A. Honors English 2110 is a little more hopeful than I originally thought, but I need an A on the final, which consists of a multiple choice exam as well as two five-page essays.

Oh, my head hurts.

I was working on the first-draft of the written portion of my Russian final, and I asked my prof the meaning of a word. She handed me the Russian dictionary and said look it up (talk about cliché). Dictionaries distract me, and so I began finding all sorts of words in Russian. As I chuckled to myself, my professor looked at me curiously and asked what was so funny. I replied "y menya ectb gerpec" (oo menya yest ger-pes).

Literally meaning, I have herpes. (Just kidding of course.)

My professor took the dictionary and said, "Please never give Caroline a dictionary."

No comments: