26 November 2007

Moody Muses.

As I contemplate the assignments that are due this week, I've realized I've saved the best for last (damn it, I really must cut out these clichés.) I love English (maybe that's why I am an English major). But, I have several papers due, and I can't write. Not that I "won't" write them, I can't. My muses are moodier than a thirteen-year-old girl. They flit about me, teasing me with snatches of a thought, and then they skip away, taking with them any chance of being a writer, or an English teacher's pet. No, I am the lazy procrastinator who keeps her brilliant thoughts to herself (This is my blog, and I can romanticize the stories if I want.) I am nervous about taking three English classes next semester, especially my Fiction Writing. What if my muses go through menopause next semester? Or what if they embody a re-incarnated grizzly bear who decides to hibernate for a semester? My GPA will "go down the drain" (hah, I'm making fun of my cliché-self now.) The last time I wrote a fiction story, my English teacher told me it was bull shit. (Um, yeah, what did you expect? It's fiction.) You can read it at www.xanga.com/fbieyeagent .

As for English, I highly recommend "Interpreter of Maladies" by Jhumpa Lahiri. I might say it is one of my favourite works of modern literature. It's brilliant. And beautiful.

I really shouldn't be writing on this thing. I might name it Jezebel, or Delilah, I haven't decided. Both names are quite fitting, as this blog is a seductress of my time.

Love.
Caroline

1 comment:

Corinne said...

My muses are moody too. They won't work unless it's the absolute last minute and something (like a grade) is at stake. For example, I'm supposed to be writing a rough draft due tomorrow at 11 PM. What am I doing? Reading blogs and watching Law and Order on my RA's tv. That's why I'm not an English major. Much as I love to write, I hate papers.

As for your fiction story, that was high school, wasn't it? And it's stream of consciousness, and unless you're Hemingway, everybody's stream of consciousness is bullshit.