26 December 2007

Boring.

As a child, I remember thinking 'adults are so boring!' Especially around the holidays, when I would spend time with my family. Adults sit and talk, a lot. They even watch TV shows with people talking. They don't rollerblade, or play basketball (with a few exceptions), adults don't enjoy playing with light sabers, they have no appreciation for hide-and-go-seek (in the dark). Adults get incredibly blasé Christmas gifts- picture frames, blankets, coffee cups, vacuum cleaners, books by James Dobson. Yes, adults were boring, and that was the last thing I ever wanted to be.

This Christmas, I began to wonder, do kids think I am boring? Is what I get for Christmas blasé? This thought began when I thought about the 5 things I wanted for Christmas.

1st and foremost, I wanted David to visit me. (I think the holidays are to be spent with those you love!)
2nd - Garlic Press
3rd - Pastry Cutter
4th - Zester
5th - Barnes and Noble gift cards

(I also got a Le Creuset mortar and pestle!) The worst part of all of this is that I was so excited about my gifts; they are things that I will use, almost daily.

I don't think I'm boring quite yet, though I am starting to feel a little old. But, most importantly, I hope I never lose my sense of wonder, desire for adventure, and appreciation for the small pleasures in life, no matter how old I get. I declare, I won't ever be boring. I will be the insane ninety-year-old woman who is going on a mission trip to Africa, plays with light sabers, builds replicas of New York out of Legos, and plays hide-and-go-seek (in the dark).. Yes, that will be me, even if I do get excited over a cobalt blue mortar and pestle.

1 comment:

J. Blair said...

Don't worry, I'm the same way. I was excited that I got an alarm clock, then was disappointed to learn that it did not work correctly. I also got an iced tea maker! hehe :)